Monday, December 2, 2013

~CHRISTMAS PAWS BLOG HOP~


Happy Holidays to you and your 4-legged family members 
from my 4-legged family!


Welcome to the Christmas Paws Blog Hop!

We’d like to extend a special thank you to Wild Child Publishing, our co-host for the Christmas Paws Blog Hop!

Thank you to our co-sponsors:
A.R. Von  
Bewitching Book Tours  
Charley Descoteaux 
M.L. Ryan 
Normandie Alleman  
Susan  Griscom  
Denyse Bridger 
Literal Addiction 
Joanne Jaytanie
Patricia Tostado
Books to Go Now
Cristal Ryder
Jami Grey
Victoria Vane
Running with Scissors






Chasing Victory

Chasing Victory is my debut novel which was recently released at the end of March. It is a paranormal, romantic suspense and the first book in The Winters Sisters Series. There is a thread that runs through this series, and that is to portray my love of the Doberman. I have owned and loved this amazing breed for thirty years and truly believe they are a breed unto themselves. Their intelligence, commitment, dedication, tenacity, and unconditional love can only be experienced by living with great animal.

As I began writing my first draft of Chasing Victory, Dax weighed heavy on my mind and I knew at that moment that he would be Victory’s dog. Writing the scenes that included the dobermans came very natural to me.

The doberman on the cover of my novel is Dax. The picture was taken over ten years ago by my friend Denise Caley Stringfellow. Dax and Ralph were a team unto themselves --     

Am/Int'l Ch. Starlaine's Virtual Reality, CD, NA, NAJ, ROM
‘DAX’
1995 – 2002

In the year of acquiring his Companion Dog (CD), Dax was the Doberman Pinscher Club of America (DPCA) Highest Scoring Dog earning a CD and placed first in his class at the DPCA National. He placed first in his class in agility at the DPCA Nationals. He was the first in his litter to achieve an AKC breed championship and the first to be awarded a DPCA Register of Merit. In 2001 Dax was tied for the number 3 Novice Doberman for Agility in Front and Finish Magazine. Two months after we lost him, we learned that he was rated number 6 doberman in AKC Novice Agility.



Excerpt from Chasing Victory:

Victory opened the door and was greeted by a big black Doberman madly wagging his short stub of a tail. “Hey there, Parker.” She lovingly rubbed the top of his head. “You holding down the fort? I guess everyone else must be ringside.” As if understanding every word she said, Parker responded with a whine. “I know it’s terrible to be retired. Look at it this way, you get your pick of the furniture while everyone is out.” Victory rubbed his head one last time and closing the door she headed toward the show grounds.
The show grounds were humming with activity. People were pulling carts stacked high with dog crates and grooming supplies in one hand and leashes with excited dogs in the other. The dog show scene was its own little world distant from the day to day responsibilities of everyday life. It was no wonder Payton loved it so. What could be better than spending the day with your dogs with not a care in the world, at least for that moment in time?
Victory followed the flow of people towards the main building. Stepping through the door the activity magnified; she was enveloped by barking dogs in crates, vendors, the loudspeaker, and the flow of exhibitors and their dogs warming up around the rings. Victory stood in the doorway surveying the building’s layout.
For the first time since Jeffery’s murder, Victory felt a soothing feeling flood her body. Being around all the dogs gave her stability, made her felt safe. She wandered through the building, stopping every now and then to look at all the different breeds of dogs and some interesting items at the different vendor booths. She could feel the excitement in the air radiating off the dogs.



This is one of my all time favorite pictures
The Magnificent Five
 They were wonderful bunch of red dogs.
Top row, left to right: Captain, Kes, Anya
Bottom row: Dax, Misty
I miss them dearly... 



What is your favorite breed and what special things do you do with your dogs for the holidays?

Leave your comment below and enter to win a Chasing Victory bookmark and eBook.
There will be two winners.

~GRAND PRIZE~
$200 choice gift card
and
A special treat for the pet in your life
Enter Rafflecopter at bottom of this post!



a Rafflecopter giveaway a Rafflecopter giveaway

18 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne, I love your dogs Christmas photo. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon! They will do anything for a cheese stick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a dog, but I sure do enjoy the photos of yours when you share them. I do have a cat named Bella and a kitten named Mr. Kitty. My granddaughters named Mr. Kitty because he has a spot on his chin that looks like a beard. Planning on giving them a new kitty tower for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They love those cats towers don't they. Cats are family too!! Thanks for stopping by, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have owned or been owned by Akitas for over 30 years. The latest one loves to wear a collar of jingle bells at this time of the year, he prances around when we take him out for walks.
    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you never loss him! :) Thanks for stopping by, Jean!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Donna! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

      Delete
  7. I've had both a Bichon Frise and Samoyed and loved the both... Can you tell I like whit dogs LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White dogs are pretty. We had a Samoyed when I was a kid, loved him. Thanks for stopping by, Jill!

      Delete
  8. My favorite breed is the Yorkie. I've had several, though I've not had good luck with them. My first died of a massive brain tumor when he was only five. My second was attacked by a neighbor's German Shepherd. The dog broke through our wooden fence and attacked our dog who died after three surgeries (I should have just let him go) last Valentine's Day. He was five. My sister-in-law could no longer care for her Yorkie and she died of old age this year as well. She was about 13. I have one Yorkie left. I also have a Pomeranian, a Lhasa, and a Maltie-Poo. Each Christmas, they get a stocking from Santa. I've learned to put them well out of reach or the presents tend to get opened before Christmas. Last year, I didn't stuff the stockings until Christmas Eve. Thanks for the generous giveaway. michelle_willms(at)yahoo(d0t)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your Yorkies, they become so much a part of our life and heart. Sounds like your kids get spoiled for Christmas, good for them! Thanks for stopping by, and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite breed is "rescued." :) I have a rescued pit mix now. His name is Rocket. He knows a lot of tricks including jumping in your arms when you say "launch." Growing up, I had a rescued Akita. I volunteer at an animal shelter and have to say that I gravitate towards the "bully breeds." Thanks for participating in the hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! Rescuing is a great thing to do.

      Delete
  11. Hi Joanne :)
    My favorite breed now is the Puggle. We rescued our "D" short for Damian in September this year. D is a Pug and Beagle mix. He's 5 yrs old and LOVED in our home. I've had Rotteweilers and years ago a SharPei :) An amazing book to win and a doggie prize too! Wow! You made me smile twice!
    Ange xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "D" sounds like a real sweetheart. Thanks for stopping by Angela!

      Delete
  12. I think my favorite breed of dog is the Husky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the chances to win. I love dogs and right now I am thinking about getting another pet but need to access my finances to make sure I can properly care for him/her.

    Robin
    Robbibird3@aol.com

    ReplyDelete